For the past 6 days, I was in JB for SWAT camp, the one
Titus had been telling us about. I'll share with you what I thought about it,
maybe it would strike a chord in you, maybe it won't.
- What prompted me to go?
Personally my walk with God has been terribly distant
because I don't put in effort to know Him. I've not been going for my church's
CG and missing church because I'm too tired/ too busy. And I thought ok since
it's the hols and perhaps the last time I can go for such a camp (Y4 goggles),
I'll just give this a shot.
I signed up alone, not knowing who is going. Whatever, I
thought, I would try to make some friends with my group mates there. They
probably won't ostracise any loners there la, it's a christian camp, campers
have to at least act christiany and talk to people.
- "The camp so intensive leh. I don't think I can la."
That seems like a common sentiment amongst people who had
previously gone for this camp. Which was actually one reason why I signed up
too, because I wanted to challenge myself. Since my bible knowledge already so
poor, my walk with God quite pathetic, if it's so intensive, maybe I would be able
to take away a lesson or two, and somehow find some meaning to draw closer to
Him again.
Physical intensity: NIL. No ridiculous orientation games
(thank goodness!) because I just can't do those games la I always lose and abit
paiseh to be humiliated in front of people that I don't know.
There's enforced lights out at 12mn (which I thought was
quite strict la but not like I had something better to do) and 1.5h NAPTIME in
the middle of the day right after lunch (perfect solution to food coma??) So
basically I got more sleep then my normal life. And I definitely think hall
people have been trained to pull through long days. In fact, I got a little
restless/ fidgety because of the physical passiveness, but I think it's just the
effects of not being used to a slower pace of life.
Spiritual intensity: At first, so-so. Last days of the camp,
getting there... Upon reflection (now), I guess the camp forces you to reflect
about your life. A lot. You kinda have to discuss questions and share with your
group stuff, and there's also end-of-day reflection time so there's just so
much thinking time la. The first day while everyone was reflecting on their
life, I just sat there and looked at everyone knowing what to do. And my paper was
blank because I didnt even know where to begin and I tried to think of
something so hard but I ended up thinking about me trying to think about something
aiya basically it wasnt working out. And during group discussions I was usually
the last to contribute because I had nothing and needed to agree with someone
elses' answers. how original.
Then i started thinking Why isnt God speaking to me and
speaking to (seemingly) EVERYONE ELSE INSTEAD???? so i wrote questions in my
handybook that they gave, and my doubts about Christianity. Surprisingly it was
a pretty good step. I was for once writing something in my book.
The next few days, I just wrote whatever that came to mind,
and also whatever things shared that struck me. Abit hard here, because many of
their problems I can't seem to relate. E.g. the growth of their church, their
ministries, their going-thru-the-motion faith. Because I am not involved/ do none
of those in the first place. Initially I brushed them as "oh not
applicable, not applicable, not applicable" but slowly (with all the
reflection time) I started to ask myself waiiiit, WHY is it not applicable? Why
am I not involved? Why do I treat church so lightly? Why does everyone here do Quiet
Time except me? (like when we were going a circle sharing how/ when we do QT,
and I'm like - uh i dont do QT at all, and the rest looked at me and said,
Thanks for being brave to share something so personal. We will pray for you.) I
came to realise that my problem lies in the fact that I'm super desensitized and
apathetic towards society and God's Word. Like I didn't even see the issue of not
doing QT at first. So a lot of these instances during the group discussions
prompted me to really think. And somehow writing down my thoughts and questions
guided me, albeit slowly, to have deeper understanding of my values and
mindset. So if you find yourself questioning God, write it down. Ponder over
it.
Could expound on this but it'll be too long and I can't
articulate my thoughts clearly right now. My main key takeaway was that I used
to think God and the world were pretty much mutually exclusive but God will
always forgive/ provide as long as we have faith in Him. But from this camp, I
realised I subscribe to a very convenient faith and cheap grace. Hence we continue
to sin because we know He would forgive us when we come to Him.
Then recently I also started doubting this whole idea of god
and religion because of worldly issues. But what the speaker at the camp said
struck me: When we ask "Why?",
let it be a prayer to God, and not let it result in shaken faith.
- Did the camp give any answers/ enlightenment -
There were no concrete answers to living life, but it was
very reflective. It made me think deeper into the excuses that I have created
along the way to justify myself. And it's a hindsight thing la. For the first
few days at the camp, I kept trying to experience a Eureka! moment but nope.
Then i realised perhaps it's just a time to really question yourself. and
through the questioning there will definitely be more questioning but somehow,
it might expose something else.
- Would you recommend the camp: Yeah go at least once to
experience it. Good break from material stress. If you're the kind who don't
really like to be alone, would advise to go with a same-sex friend. I went by
myself and had no one to hang with at night lol and like it's gonna be hard to find
your opposite-sex friend because you can't go to their dorm too. Then there was
this prayer thing where you're to pray with a friend and since i had no friends
i sat alone at a corner pretending to use my phone when there's clearly no wifi
aiya that's the most painful part (ok i exaggerate) but it's a very minor thing
don't let it be a deterrent luh. can be easily overcome by re-reading your handybook
and going to the toilet.
- Practical application: message me LOL but srs. i did get exposed
to quite a lot of different things people are going thru so I dont think I can
give any specific learning point/ idea I stole without knowing what you're
facing.
Personally for me, I'm gonna start praying every morning and
night (yes, i dont even do that..... I had
this super chill mentality that I can talk to God anytime anywhere so nothing's
concrete at all), and I will write my morning prayers in a prayer book.
I will also start doing QT but I haven't figure out what
yet. Will do something about it soon and will make sure I do actually do it.
Yeah hahah thanks for making it this far, it's much longer
that I thought it would be. Titus and Valerie were there too, and I'm sure they
have their own takeaways to share too. I hope yall have happy holidays!!
Christmas is coming!!!